Keto Chili made with ground beef and seasoned to perfection! This chili without beans is full of delicious flavor, without the carbs. This recipe is sure to be a family favorite!
Chili is one of those cozy, comforting foods that taste so delicious! This no bean chili has only 5 net carbs.
This easy recipe is great for weeknight dinners! The real secret is that the bold flavors will often taste even better the next day because they’ve had a chance to really come together. When you make this ahead, you will not be disappointed in the results.
Is chili okay on the keto diet?
The simple answer is no. Chili typically contains one or more types of beans and many include either added sugar or ingredients with extra sugar. Most canned chili is not keto friendly.
Though beans offer some protein, they are high in carbs. This makes them a bad choice when following a keto diet. This recipe has no beans or added sugar, so it is keto friendly!
Keto bean substitutes for chili
You can use the following ingredients in place of beans in keto chili:
- Cauliflower florets
- Diced avocado
- Green beans
- Ground beef - You can use your preferred variety, but I find using 85/15 or leaner works best.
- Onion and Green Pepper - These tasty veggies add flavor without adding much in the way of carbs.
- Diced Tomatoes - Diced tomatoes help make up the chunkiness of the chili.
- Tomato Sauce - You should make sure to check that the sauce does not contain added sugar.
- Seasonings - To season the chili, I used chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper.
- Beef Broth - Adds more flavor, and helps with the consistency of the chili.
- Cheese and Sour Cream - These are optional toppings that I highly recommend adding.
How to make keto chili
- In a large pot, cook the ground beef with the chopped onions and green pepper. Drain the excess grease.
- Season the meat mixture with the seasonings, and mix everything together to coat the meat mixture.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the pot, and stir everything together.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Serve in small bowls, and top with your favorite keto friendly chili toppings!
How to thicken keto chili
There are a couple of ways to thicken keto chili.
One option is to boil the chili with the lid off so the excess liquid evaporates, thus thickening the chili.
Another way to thicken chili is to add a slurry using xanthan gum and water. To do this, mix equal parts water and xanthan gum in a small bowl. When combined, stir the slurry into the chili before it comes to a boil. The slurry will help to thicken the chili as it cooks.
Recipe Tips and Variations
For some great variations, you can try the following changes:
- Top with shredded cheese, sour cream, or even Greek yogurt for added flavor and creaminess.
- Add jalapenos or other hot peppers for extra spice.
- Sub beef for ground turkey or chicken.
- Add other keto friendly veggies like mushrooms or green beans to the chili as it cooks.
Storage and reheating instructions
Chili stores well and actually taste even better the second and third days after making it. To store, place the cooled chili in an airtight container and then keep it in the fridge for up to 3 days.
You can also freeze it for up to 4 months for an easy lunch or dinner all year long.
What to serve with
Keto chili would go great with keto cornbread, keto tacos, coleslaw, or cauliflower rice. It also tastes great by itself with keto friendly toppings. This recipe is great for meal prep, and can also be added to your favorite keto Mexican dishes!
More easy keto comfort recipes
If you like easy to make dinner ideas, you should check out these other great options:
- Keto Broccoli Cheese Casserole
- Keto Chicken Parmesan Casserole
- Ninja Foodi Pot Roast (Pressure Cooker Pot Roast)
- Easy Keto Stuffed Peppers (Mexican Style)
- Broccoli Cheese Casserole
- Best Keto Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 large onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, cook the ground beef, diced bell pepper, and onion. Drain any excess grease.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add the seasonings to the meat mixture, and mix to coat the meat with the seasonings.
- Add the remaining ingredients, and mix everything together.
- Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to simmer. Allow the chili to simmer for 15 - 20 minutes stirring occasionally. Stir in more beef broth if needed.
- Serve in small bowls. Top with sour cream, chopped green onion, shredded cheese, or other keto-friendly toppings.
- For thicker chili, add less beef broth. Add more broth to loosen up the chili. (up to preference)
- Feel free to adjust seasonings to taste.
- Optional toppings: sour cream, shredded cheese, chopped green onions.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 532Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 161mgSodium: 1144mgCarbohydrates: 8gNet Carbohydrates: 5gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 51g
All nutritional information and calculations are provided as a courtesy. Nutritional values are estimates only. Variations may occur due to product, and brand selection. You should not rely on this information for medical advice.
Kay is passionate about living a healthy low carb lifestyle. She loves low carb comfort foods that are also family-friendly!