Keto cauliflower mac and cheese is the perfect comfort food. Warm, creamy, and smothered in cheese, you and your family won’t even miss the noodles.
Keto Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
Keto cauliflower mac and cheese has all the creamy, comforting goodness you’d expect from the traditional recipe, minus the carbs.
And since you are not skimping on the cheese in keto, you really won’t miss any of the flavors you’ve come to love in mac and cheese. As an added bonus, the cheese acts as a fat bomb, which will give you plenty of energy and fill you up.
Can you eat cauliflower on the keto diet?
Yes! Cauliflower is a safe food to eat on the keto diet because it is high in fiber and low in net carbs. You get a total of 5.3 grams of carbs in one cup of cauliflower or 3.2 grams of net carbs.
That’s why you’ll see a lot of keto recipes, like my keto friendly stuffed pepper recipe , use cauliflower rice instead of regular white or brown rice. You may also see pasta recipes, like this one, replace the noodles with cauliflower.
How to prevent watery cauliflower mac and cheese
Watery cauliflower mac and cheese is pretty unappetizing, but thankfully, there are some steps you can take to prevent it from getting too watery.
First, completely drain the cauliflower florets after you boil them. Once they are completely drained, let them rest on a baking sheet lined with a few paper towels.
The paper towels will absorb any excess moisture.
Also, be sure to allow the cauliflower to fully cool prior to adding the cheese. As cauliflower cooks, it gives off moisture, which can water down the cheese if it is not fully cooked before adding it.
How to make Keto Mac and Cheese
- In a large pot, boil and drain the cauliflower florets.
- Next, make the cheese sauce. In the same pot, add half and half, cream cheese, shredded cheddar, shredded Colby jack, and seasonings. Mix until the cheeses are completely melted.
- Add the Cauliflower to the cheese sauce, and mix together so that the cauliflower is evenly coated.
- Transfer the mixture to a 9x13 baking dish, and top with shredded cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Once the mac and cheese is done baking, top with chopped bacon, and enjoy!
What to serve with Keto Mac and Cheese
Keto mac and cheese can be its own meal, or you can serve it right alongside your favorite entrees.
One pairing that the kids will love is to serve it with this Classic Southern Style Keto Meatloaf. This comfort food combination is hard to beat.
It is easy to store leftovers. To store, you can keep them in the baking dish and wrap them tightly with foil or transfer cooled mac and cheese to an airtight container if you prefer. Once wrapped up, you can safely store it in the fridge for up to 3 days.
You can reheat individual servings in the microwave or place the baking dish back in the oven and heat at 350 until warmed through.
You shouldn’t freeze cauliflower mac and cheese, as it will be watery when reheated.
More Keto Side Dish Ideas
If you are looking to fill out your meal, even more, you should make sure to check out these other keto-friendly sides:
- Soul Food Collard Greens with Smoked Turkey
- Instant Pot Southern Style Green Beans
- Broccoli Salad with Bacon and Cheddar
- Broccoli Cheese Casserole
For the Mac and Cheese
- 7 - 8 cups cauliflower florets, (I used 1 1/2 heads of cauliflower).
- 3/4 cup half and half
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Colby jack cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
For the Topping
- 1 1/4 cup shredded Colby jack cheese
- 3 - 4 slices bacon, cooked and chopped (optional)
- fresh parsley for garnish, (optional)
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and prepare a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- 2. Fill a large pot with 1 inch of water, and bring to a boil. Add the cauliflower florets to the pot, and allow them to cook for 5 minutes.
- 3. Drain the cauliflower, and set aside.
- 4. Reduce the stovetop heat to medium. In the same pot add the half and half, cream cheese, 1 cup of cheddar cheese, and 1 cup shredded Colby jack cheese.
- 5. Sprinkle in the salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. Stir the cheese mixture until all of the cheese is completely melted.
- 6. Add the cauliflower back to the pot with the cheese, and stir so that the cauliflower is evenly coated with the cheese mixture.
- 7. Transfer to a prepared 9x13 baking dish, and top evenly with the remaining cheese.
- 8. Bake the casserole uncovered in the oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- 9. Optional: While the casserole is baking, fry 3 - 4 slices of bacon. Once the mac and cheese is done baking, chop the bacon and sprinkle it on top of the mac and cheese.
- 10. Allow the mac and cheese to set for 5 minutes, and then serve immediately. Enjoy!
- Optional: Garnish with a little fresh parsley for a nice display at your next family gathering!
- Use prepared bacon bits instead of bacon to save time.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 282Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 66mgSodium: 547mgCarbohydrates: 6gNet Carbohydrates: 4gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 15g
All nutritional information and calculations are provided as a courtesy. Nutritional values are estimates only. Variations may occur due to product, and brand selection. You should not rely on this information for medical advice.
Kay is passionate about living a healthy low carb lifestyle. She loves low carb comfort foods that are also family-friendly!