The best Oven Baked Chicken Thighs only need one pan and are ready in under an hour! These chicken thighs are juicy, with crispy skin on the outside. They are the perfect meal to spice up any weekday.
Oven Baked Chicken Thighs
Oven baked chicken thighs are super juicy and bursting with flavor. Chicken thighs are fattier than chicken breasts, which means they naturally contain a lot of flavor.
To enhance the flavor, I add the same simple spice mix I use on my baked chicken drumsticks. With only a few spices that you likely already have on hand, you can elevate the thighs’ flavor to the next level.
You also have some options when it comes to these thighs. You can use bone-in or bone out thighs. You can also leave the skin on for added flavor or remove the skin.
Helpful hint: Even if you bake it with the skin on, you can remove it before eating and still get the added flavor the skin provided. Personally, I love the crunch and taste of the skin, so I eat it all.
How long does it take thighs to cook in the oven?
Chicken thighs don’t take long to cook in the oven. It takes about 35 to 45 minutes, depending on your oven, at 400 degrees F. The only thing you have to do is flip them halfway through to ensure even cooking.
Thighs are dark meat, which is naturally fattier than chicken breasts. This means they can withstand the high heat of the oven without drying out and you don’t even need to cover them.
To make sure you are safe, the chicken needs to reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees. You can use an instant-read thermometer to help you figure out if they are ready or not.
If you don’t have a thermometer, check out the juices. If they are clear when you make a small cut, the chicken should be cooked through. If not, let them cook a bit longer.
Easy to find chicken thigh ingredients
You really don’t need much to make great tasting chicken thighs in the oven. You should have most of these spices on hand, so you’ll likely only need to get the chicken.
- Chicken thighs - You can use bone-in or out with or without skin.
- Seasonings - You probably already have salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, and smoked paprika. You can also use dried parsley as an optional garnish.
- Olive oil - You could use canola or vegetable oil if you prefer.
- Worcestershire sauce - If you prefer, you can use soy sauce instead.
How to Bake Chicken Thighs
Step 1. Season the chicken. Add the chicken thighs to a large freezer bag. Next, add all of the seasonings and Worcestershire sauce to the bag and seal it closed. Shake all of the ingredients in the bag together and make sure the chicken is evenly coated in the seasoning mix.
Step 2. Marinate the thighs. Place the bag in the fridge and let it marinate for at least 30 minutes. The longer it sits, the more flavor they will absorb.
Step 3. Bake the chicken thighs. Arrange the chicken on a baking sheet. Place the thighs, uncovered, in the oven and bake for 45 minutes. Flip the chicken halfway through to ensure even baking. Remove from the oven and let rest a few minutes before serving. Enjoy!
What to serve with Crispy Baked Chicken Thighs
Baked chicken thighs are a great main dish that goes well with a variety of sides. One of my favorite sides to serve with these thighs is my Fried Cabbage with Bacon.
Other Easy Chicken Dinner Recipes:
- The Best Baked Chicken Drumsticks
- Creamy Tuscan Garlic Chicken – (Keto Friendly)
- Air Fryer Buffalo Wings – Low Carb, Keto Friendly
- Keto Chicken Bacon Ranch Casserole
- 6 chicken thighs, (with skin on)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce, (alternatively you can also use Soy Sauce)
- dried parsley, optional for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Add the chicken thighs to a large freezer bag. Next, add the remaining ingredients to the bag and seal it closed. Shake all of the ingredients in the bag together ensuring that the chicken is evenly coated with everything.
- Let the chicken marinate in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. For best results, marinate for 1 - 2 hours.
- Arrange the chicken on a large baking sheet and bake in the oven for 35 - 45 minutes. The chicken is done when it reaches 165 degrees internally. (Mine was done at exactly 35 minutes.)
- Optional - Garnish with dried parsley. Serve immediately, and enjoy!
- I like to trim excess skin off of the thighs. Trim any skin that is hanging off of the chicken.
- If you don't have any freezer bags, feel free to marinate the chicken in a medium-sized bowl. Just cover it with plastic wrap while the chicken is marinating in the fridge.
- Chicken thighs are very fatty. I like to drain any excess grease off of the pan prior to serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 331Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 166mgSodium: 516mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 31g
All nutritional information and calculations are provided as a courtesy. Nutritional values are estimates only. Variations may occur due to product, and brand selection. You should not rely on this information for medical advice.