This Keto Broccoli Cheese Soup is super creamy, cheesy, and full of flavor! Enjoy the taste of classic Panera broccoli cheese soup with fewer carbs. It’s great for making ahead of time and ready in about 15 minutes!
Is broccoli cheese soup keto?
Traditional broccoli cheese soup is usually made with flour and is not keto-friendly. This keto version doesn’t use flour or carrots for the lowest carb count, while still providing that classic full flavor of broccoli cheese soup.
In my opinion, this recipe is even better than Panera!
Can you freeze broccoli cheese soup?
Yes, you can freeze broccoli cheese soup for up to 2 months. You should allow the soup to cool completely prior to freezing and store it in an airtight container.
Frozen broccoli cheese soup can then be reheated on the stovetop or in a crockpot.
How to Make Keto Broccoli Cheese Soup
Step 1. Start by sauteing garlic and onion in butter over medium-high heat. You’ll want to saute until the garlic and onion is fragrant.
Step 2. Add broccoli, chicken broth, heavy cream, and seasonings to the pot. Stir everything together, and bring it to a boil. Allow it to simmer for 10 minutes. You’ll want to simmer until the broccoli is nice and tender.
Step 3. Turn the stove off, and add in the cheese stirring in one hand full of cheese at a time.
Step 4. Serve in small bowls, and top with extra shredded cheese if you’d like!
How to thicken keto broccoli cheese soup
I find that this soup really doesn’t need to be thickened, as the cheese thickens it enough. Nevertheless, here are a few different ways to thicken keto broccoli cheese soup:
- Add a 1/2 teaspoon of xanthan gum to the soup mixture. Only a small amount of xanthan gum is needed, so don’t overdo it. You can find xanthan gum on the baking aisle at your local grocery store, or on Amazon.
- Stir in extra cheese. Be sure to only stir in small portions of cheese at a time to avoid clumpy soup or soup that is too cheesy.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the broccoli. While I prefer the chunks of broccoli over pureed broccoli, this is an easy way to thicken the soup without having to add extra ingredients.
Recipe Tips & Variations
- How to avoid clumpy soup: Avoid clumpy soup by adding cheese gradually, and stirring the cheese in a little at a time. This ensures that the cheese is distributed evenly and melted throughout the soup.
- Vegetarian Soup Option: For a completely vegetarian soup, substitute vegetable broth for the chicken broth.
- Broccoli Cheese Soup Toppings: A few great toppings for this soup are bacon bits, shredded chicken, extra shredded cheese, and extra steamed broccoli florets.
More Delicious Cheesy Keto Recipes to Try:
- Low Carb Chicken Fajita Soup – Keto Friendly
- Broccoli Cheese Casserole
- Ham Casserole with Broccoli and Cauliflower Rice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 cups shredded cheddar
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum, (optional for thickening)
- Using a large pot over medium-high heat, saute the onion and garlic with the butter. Saute until fragrant.
- Add the broccoli florets, chicken broth, and heavy cream to the pot. Sprinkle in the garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Bring the pot to a boil, and then reduce the heat to medium and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat, and begin adding in the shredded cheese 1 cup at a time. Stir in each cup of cheese prior to adding the next cup. This helps to ensure that the soup isn't clumpy.
- Optional: To thicken the soup, stir in 1/2 teaspoon of xanthan gum in the pot.
- Serve in small bowls, and top with a little shredded cheese, and serve immediately!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 cups Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 514Total Fat: 43gSaturated Fat: 25gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 131mgSodium: 1219mgCarbohydrates: 12gNet Carbohydrates: 9gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 21g
All nutritional information and calculations are provided as a courtesy. Nutritional values are estimates only. Variations may occur due to product, and brand selection. You should not rely on this information for medical advice.
Kay is passionate about living a healthy low carb lifestyle. She loves low carb comfort foods that are also family-friendly!