This Instant Pot Salsa Chicken is the perfect recipe for when you need something tasty, yet quick! The chicken is pressure cooked in a delicious mixture of salsa, and taco seasonings. The result is juicy shredded chicken that is full of flavor!
How to make Instant Pot Salsa Chicken
Making Salsa Chicken in your Instant Pot is super easy, and only requires a few simple ingredients!
This recipe is also great for meal prep and can be made ahead of time. I personally think it tastes even better the next day, once the flavors have a chance to marry overnight!
- Chicken Breasts – Boneless chicken breasts are the best option when it comes to making shredded chicken. They cook really fast and are easy to shred.
- Seasonings – We’ll use a few pantry staples to season the chicken, and taco seasoning to flavor the entire dish.
- Butter – Used to saute the garlic. It’s also a nice touch of fat that is great for the keto diet.
- Garlic – The garlic is sauteed in the butter for added flavor.
- Salsa – Any salsa works. I like to use mild salsa for this recipe.
Step by Step Instructions
Step 1. Start by seasoning the chicken breast on both sides with salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder. Then, set it aside.
Step 2. Turn the Instant Pot on the Saute function. Next, add in the butter and minced garlic and saute until fragrant.
Step 3. Switch the Instant Pot to the Pressure Cook function. Add half of the jar of sauce to the pot, and then place the chicken on top of the sauce. Pour the rest of the sauce over the chicken, and sprinkle in the taco seasoning.
Step 4. Secure the lid on the Instant Pot, and turn the vent valve to the sealed position. Pressure cook on HIGH for 10 minutes. Note: If you get a burn message on your Instant Pot, simply add 1/4 – 1/2 cup of water or chicken broth to the pot and mix it into the salsa.
Step 5. Remove the chicken from the Instant Pot, and shred it with 2 forks. Next, add the shredded chicken back to the pot with the salsa. Toss the chicken to ensure that it’s evenly coated with sauce.
Serve with tacos, make taco bowls, or enjoy the chicken as a main dish!
Cooking frozen chicken in the Instant Pot
You can certainly cook frozen chicken in your Instant Pot. It will just take longer for the pot to come to pressure. Frozen chicken should be ready in about 12 – 15 minutes in the Instant Pot.
When in doubt, use a meat thermometer! Chicken is fully cooked when it’s internal temperature reaches 160 degrees. A good rule of thumb is to add 3 minutes to the cooking time when using frozen chicken.
What to Serve with Instant Pot Salsa Chicken
You use salsa chicken to make tacos or lettuce wraps. It’s also great for meal prepping! It would also pair well with cauliflower rice, and your favorite taco toppings for an easy low carb taco bowl.
Check out these other Keto Mexican recipes:
- 3 chicken breasts
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 16 oz jar of salsa
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning
- Start by seasoning the chicken on both sides with salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder. Then, set the chicken aside.
- Turn the Instant Pot to the Saute function, and add in the butter and the garlic. Saute the garlic in the butter for about 2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Switch the Instant Pot to the Pressure Cook function. Add in half of the salsa to the Instant Pot. Then, add the chicken. Pour the other half of the salsa over the chicken, and sprinkle in the taco seasoning.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot, and turn the valve to the sealed position. Pressure cook for on high for 10 minutes. Once the cooking time is completed, allow the Instant Pot to do a natural release for 5 minutes. NOTE: If you get a burn message on the Instant Pot, simply add about 1/4 - 1/2 cup water or chicken broth to the pot.
- Manually turn the valve to the Release position. Remove the chicken from the Instant Pot, and shred it with 2 forks. Add the chicken back to the Instant Pot. Serve with tacos, lettuce wraps, or enjoy as a main dish!
If you get a burn message on the Instant Pot, simply add about 1/4 - 1/2 cup water or chicken broth to the pot.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 117Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 42mgSodium: 812mgCarbohydrates: 6gNet Carbohydrates: 4gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 15g