This keto taco casserole recipe is an easy dinner idea that the entire family will enjoy. It's loaded with ground beef, topped with cheese, and then baked in the oven. Enjoy the taste of tacos without the carbs!
It's almost time for Taco Tuesday at our home, and this week I made one of my favorite Mexican dishes that happen to be keto friendly. Taco casserole is great for so many reasons. Not only is it super easy, but it does not sacrifice the taste of real tacos!
As a matter of fact, while I enjoy this casserole as apart of my keto diet - my family loves it too! They still use chips to scoop up the casserole when they want to, so they don't mind it at all!
I'm a big fan of casseroles because they allow for easy cleanup, and are great for potlucks and family dinners. This keto taco bake is sure to be a regular on your meal plan!
Keto Taco Casserole Ingredients
Ground Beef - Traditional tacos start with well-seasoned ground beef. I recommend using lean ground beef to avoid excess oil.
Taco Seasoning - This gives it that classic taco flavor.
Green Peppers, Onion, & Garlic - These add an extra layer of flavor, and are sauteed with the ground beef.
Eggs - The egg acts as a binder for the casserole and keeps everything together. Don't worry, you won't even be able to taste the egg once the recipe is baked.
Cheese - To melt on top of the casserole.
Toppings - I like to top the casserole with all of my favorite keto friendly toppings once it's done baking.
How to make keto taco casserole
Start by browning the ground beef with the green peppers, onions, and garlic in a large skillet. Be sure to break up the ground beef with a fork as it cooks.
Once the beef is no longer pink, drain the excess oil out of the beef mixture using a strainer or colander. Add the beef mixture back to the pan, and sprinkle in the taco seasoning. Mix everything together so that the beef is evenly coated.
Next, transfer the beef mixture to a casserole dish and spread it out evenly.
In a small bowl, add the eggs and half of the shredded cheese. Stir the egg mixture until the eggs are lightly beaten, and then pour it evenly over the ground beef mixture.
Mix the casserole a bit to ensure that the cheese gets in between the meat. The egg acts as a binder for the casserole. Don't worry, you won't even taste it.
Top the casserole with the remaining cheese, and bake uncovered for 25 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Top the finished dish with your favorite taco toppings, and serve.
If you enjoyed this keto taco casserole recipe, then you will also love this easy Creamy Chicken Fajita Casserole! It's low carb, keto, and THM friendly.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 large bell pepper, diced
- 1 packet of taco seasoning (or 4 tablespoons of homemade taco seasoning)
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups Mexican cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a skillet heated on medium-high heat, brown the ground beef with the green peppers, onions, and garlic.
- Once the beef is no longer pink, drain the excess oil using a strainer and return the beef mixture back to the pan. Stir in the taco seasoning.
- Transfer the beef mixture to a casserole dish and spread it out evenly.
- In a small bowl, combine the eggs and half of the shredded cheese. Stir the mixture until the eggs are lightly beaten. Next, pour the egg mixture evenly over the beef into the casserole dish. Mix the casserole a bit to ensure that the cheese gets in between the meat.
- Top the casserole evenly with the remaining cheese, and bake uncovered for 25 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Once the casserole is done, remove it from the oven and top with your favorite keto taco toppings like tomatoes, green onions, and sour cream. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 317Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 148mgSodium: 384mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 27g
Kay is passionate about living a healthy low carb lifestyle. She loves low carb comfort foods that are also family-friendly!