Chicken fajita casserole is an easy healthy, but quick meal idea! This is the perfect dish to switch things up on Taco Tuesday. The best part of this recipe is that it is perfect for the keto diet, as no tortillas are needed!
Taco Tuesday is a real event in my house. With that being said, we don’t just limit it to tacos. On Tuesdays, we pretty much each all things Mexican style. This includes tacos, fajitas, enchiladas, and different Mexican side dish recipes.
Mexican food is the one thing that we all can agree on in my house, so it’s actually one of the most consistent things in my life right now (which says a lot about my life, lol)!
This recipe is made using all of the traditional fajita fixings minus the tortillas.
Traditional fajitas typically all start with meat, more commonly chicken or steak. The meat is then sauteed with peppers and onions, and seasoned with fajita seasoning. You can then add cheese, sour cream, jalapenos, and any other toppings that you choose.
Thankfully, chicken fajitas are keto friendly as long as you don’t use the tortilla. You can also order them that way at your favorite Mexican restaurant!
Chicken Fajita Casserole Ingredients:
- Chicken Breast – Low carb, and high in protein!
- Bell Peppers – I prefer to use both green and red bell peppers for an extra pop of color. This also adds another layer of flavor as red peppers are sweeter, while green peppers are more bitter in flavor.
- Onion – I know that there are a lot of folks out there who prefer to leave onions out. However, in this recipe, you will be sauteing the onions prior to adding them to the casserole. They won’t be raw, and trust me they are a must for chicken fajitas!
- Diced Tomatoes and Green Chiles – These are canned and make a great addition to any Taco Tuesday meal. They can be used as a topping, or as an extra ingredient in most Mexican recipes. I prefer the Rotel brand.
- Taco Seasoning – This gives us the tex-mex flavor that makes this recipe so delicious.
- Shredded Cheeses – Feel free to use a Mexican cheese blend here. I used Cheddar and Monterey Jack for this recipe.
- Cream Cheese – High in fat, and low in carbs which makes cream cheese absolutely perfect for keto. Not to mention, it’s so good! I use it in almost all of my casserole recipes.
- Heavy Cream (optional) – This adds an extra rich creaminess to the casserole, however, it is totally optional.
Is taco seasoning keto?
Packaged taco seasoning typically contains flour and/or cornstarch. You can definitely use it in this recipe, as you’ll only need 2 tablespoons spread across 12 servings of casserole so it’s still low carb. To make a simple keto taco seasoning, simply combine the following: 1 tbsp chili powder, 1 tbsp cumin, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1/4 tsp onion powder, and 1/4 tsp salt and stir together.
How do you cut chicken breast for fajitas?
You can slice chicken breast lengthwise into thin strips or dice chicken breasts into bite-sized chunks for fajitas. For this recipe, I diced the chicken breasts into bite-sized chunks.
How to make chicken fajita casserole
- Start by lightly seasoning the chicken with salt and pepper on both sides, and baking it in the oven until it’s cooked through (about 25 minutes).
- While the chicken is cooking, saute the bell peppers, onion, and diced tomatoes and green chiles in a pan with a tablespoon of olive oil. Cook the vegetables until they are tender, then remove from the pan and set aside in a large bowl.
- Next, remove the chicken from the oven and allow it to cool for about 5 minutes. Then, chop the chicken into bite-sized chunks and add it to the same bowl as the peppers and onions.
- Season the chicken and vegetables with 1 tablespoon of the taco seasoning. Be sure to mix everything in the bowl, so that it is evenly coated with seasoning.
- Next, add 1/2 of the shredded cheese, all of the cream cheese, and the heavy cream to the same bowl and mix everything together until combined. Then, add the remaining taco seasoning and stir again until combined.
- Arrange the mixture into a casserole dish, and top evenly with the remaining shredded cheese. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 – 35 minutes.
Feel free to top the casserole with your favorite low carb toppings like sour cream, cilantro, or jalapenos!
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 191Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 60mgSodium: 254mgCarbohydrates: 6gNet Carbohydrates: 5gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 13g