Chicken fajita casserole is an easy healthy, but quick meal idea! This is the perfect dish to switch things up on Taco Tuesday. The best part of this recipe is that it is perfect for the keto diet, as no tortillas are needed!
Taco Tuesday is a real event in my house. With that being said, we don't just limit it to tacos. On Tuesdays, we pretty much each all things Mexican style. This includes tacos, fajitas, enchiladas, and different Mexican side dish recipes.
Mexican food is the one thing that we all can agree on in my house, so it's actually one of the most consistent things in my life right now (which says a lot about my life, lol)!
This recipe is made using all of the traditional fajita fixings minus the tortillas.
Traditional fajitas typically all start with meat, more commonly chicken or steak. The meat is then sauteed with peppers and onions, and seasoned with fajita seasoning. You can then add cheese, sour cream, jalapenos, and any other toppings that you choose.
Thankfully, chicken fajitas are keto-friendly as long as you don't use the tortilla. You can also order them that way at your favorite Mexican restaurant.
Chicken Fajita Casserole Ingredients:
- Chicken Breast - Low carb, and high in protein!
- Bell Peppers - I prefer to use both green and red bell peppers for an extra pop of color. This also adds another layer of flavor as red peppers are sweeter, while green peppers are more bitter in flavor.
- Onion - I know that there are a lot of folks out there who prefer to leave onions out. However, in this recipe, you will be sauteing the onions prior to adding them to the casserole. They won't be raw, and trust me they are a must for chicken fajitas!
- Diced Tomatoes and Green Chiles - These are canned and make a great addition to any Taco Tuesday meal. They can be used as a topping, or as an extra ingredient in most Mexican recipes. I prefer the Rotel brand.
- Taco Seasoning - This gives us the tex-mex flavor that makes this recipe so delicious.
- Shredded Cheeses - Feel free to use a Mexican cheese blend here. I used Cheddar and Monterey Jack for this recipe.
- Cream Cheese - High in fat, and low in carbs which makes cream cheese absolutely perfect for keto. Not to mention, it's so good! I use it in almost all of my casserole recipes.
- Heavy Cream (optional) - This adds an extra rich creaminess to the casserole, however, it is totally optional.
Is taco seasoning keto?
Packaged taco seasoning typically contains flour and/or cornstarch. You can definitely use it in this recipe, as you'll only need 2 tablespoons spread across 12 servings of casserole so it's still low carb.
To make a simple keto taco seasoning, simply combine the following: 1 tbsp chili powder, 1 tbsp cumin, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1/4 tsp onion powder, and 1/4 tsp salt and stir together.
How do you cut chicken breast for fajitas?
You can slice chicken breast lengthwise into thin strips or dice chicken breasts into bite-sized chunks for fajitas. For this recipe, I diced the chicken breasts into bite-sized chunks.
How to make chicken fajita casserole
- Start by lightly seasoning the chicken with salt and pepper on both sides, and baking it in the oven until it's cooked through (about 25 minutes).
- While the chicken is cooking, saute the bell peppers, onion, and diced tomatoes and green chiles in a pan with a tablespoon of olive oil. Cook the vegetables until they are tender, then remove from the pan and set aside in a large bowl.
- Next, remove the chicken from the oven and allow it to cool for about 5 minutes. Then, chop the chicken into bite-sized chunks and add it to the same bowl as the peppers and onions.
- Season the chicken and vegetables with 1 tablespoon of the taco seasoning. Be sure to mix everything in the bowl, so that it is evenly coated with seasoning.
- Next, add 1/2 of the shredded cheese, all of the cream cheese, and the heavy cream to the same bowl and mix everything together until combined. Then, add the remaining taco seasoning and stir again until combined.
- Arrange the mixture into a casserole dish, and top evenly with the remaining shredded cheese. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 - 35 minutes.
Feel free to top the casserole with your favorite low carb toppings like sour cream, cilantro, or jalapenos!
Chicken Fajita Casserole
An easy low carb twist on chicken fajitas. Ditch the tortilla and enjoy chicken fajitas with this easy cassserole recipe.
- 3 chicken breast
- 2 bell peppers, with seeds remove and sliced into strips (I used 1 red and 1 green)
- 1 half of a large onion, sliced into strips
- 1/4 cup canned diced tomatoes and green chilies (I used Rotel)
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning, divided
- 1 cup shredded cheese, divided (Feel free to use different cheeses. I used cheddar and Monterrey jack)
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Season the chicken breast lightly with salt and pepper, and then bake for 20 - 25 minutes (until no longer pink in the center).
- While the chicken is baking, saute the bell peppers, onion, and diced tomatoes and green chiles in a greased skillet. Cook the vegetables until they are tender, and then set them aside in a large bowl.
- Remove the chicken from the oven, and allow it to cool. Then, chop the chicken into bite-sized chunks and add it to the same bowl as the peppers and onions.
- Season the chicken and vegetables evenly with 1 tablespoon of taco seasoning.
- Add 1/2 of the shredded cheese, all of the cream cheese, and the heavy cream to the bowl with the chicken and peppers. Mix everything until combined. Then, add the remaining taco seasoning and stir everything again until combined.
- Arrange the mixture into a casserole dish, and top with the remaining shredded cheese. Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 30 - 35 minutes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 191Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 60mgSodium: 254mgCarbohydrates: 6gNet Carbohydrates: 5gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 13g
Kay is passionate about living a healthy low carb lifestyle. She loves low carb comfort foods that are also family-friendly!
This was great whole family loved it!
Thanks Denise! I'm glad you all enjoyed it!
Hi what kind of heavy cream do you use?
Hi, any heavy cream will work.
When do you add the diced tomatoes?
I added them to the pan with the sliced peppers. I will update the instructions to make that a bit more clear. Thank you!
Why did you not use fajita seasoning?
I personally preferred the taste of the taco seasoning over the fajita seasoning.
Can’t wait to try this tonight for dinner! What size casserole do you use? I have different size ones so wanted to make sure I was using the right size with the ingredient measurements:)
Hi Bianca, I used a 13.25"Lx8.5"W
I hope that you enjoy!
Love this! I too didn't know when to add the tomatoes so added with the cream and cheese. This is a definite addition to my favorites. Thanks for sharing.
Hi Christie, I will update the recipe later this week to clarify that a bit further. I'm so happy to hear that you all enjoyed it!
Not updates yet to include can tomatoes and chilies....
Hi Lara, I just updated it. Thank you!
Great recipe for a quick Mexican dish! Easy clean up too which is a bonus!
Kay... you killed it. This was so freakin' good. I added jalapenos with mine and served with tostitos chips and salsa. The flavors and cream to this cassarole are heaven to the taste buds. Chips added a nice crunch to this, great!
Thank you so much! That sounds delicious, I'm definitely going to try that next time!
This is in my oven as I type this. I didn’t use heavy cream since you said it was optional. I also didn’t read the directions, and poured the whole can of tomatoes in with the peppers and onions. My husband and I can’t wait to try this!! Thanks for the recipe.
I hope that you enjoyed it, thank you!
Just made this and it is delicious. So easy and keto friendly which I love. Thank you for sharing. Will be one I make frequently!!
So happy to hear, thank you!
Oh, I forgot to mention I used rotisserie chicken to save time. Yum!
what sides did you prepare with this?
I like to serve this with seasoned cauliflower rice if doing low carb. If you're not doing low carb, then feel free to serve with black beans or regular rice.
Can the left overs be frozen? We are just two in our house now.
Yes, freezing this shouldn't be a problem. I recommend reheating in the oven.
Omg yum. Adding this to my weekly prep. Everyone loves it!
Thank you! So happy to hear!
I made this with 1/2 a rotisserie chicken I had leftover in my refrigerator. All I can say is...DELICIOUS!!! Definitely will make this again!
Thank you for share,
Great idea to save time by using rotisserie chicken! I'm glad that you enjoyed it!
Wow! Just made this for my husband and I and it is delicious. Will definitely make again!
I'm so happy to hear that! I'm glad that you enjoyed it!
Delicious! I made it justr as the recipe said and we loved it!
Thank you, I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed it!
This was really good. I am glad it appeared under articles for you under google or I wouldn't have stumbled across this. This will also taste good as a dip as well. Thanks for sharing. I will definitely be making this again. It was delicious.
I'm so happy that you enjoyed it! Thank you!
I have chicken thighs. Do you think this would be okay for this recipe?
Chicken thighs would be perfectly fine!
My whole family loved this dish! I used some rotisserie chicken as well! The first time I made it I used left over turkey that was in my freezer! Definitely a go-to recipe now!
Using the leftover turkey sounds like a great idea! Thank you!
Winner winner chicken dinner. Repeat!
Too funny! Thank you!
This was so incredibly yummy!!! I probably used more chicken and used the whole can of rotel tomatoes. Definitely making this again!
That sounds delicious! Thank you!
This is one of my favorite recipes!! I’ve made it numerous times and everyone always loves it!
Kay made this casserole & it was amazing!!! My husband said this does not taste like diet food. We are doing Keto together. I ended up rubbing a little less than 1 Tbsp. Taco seasoning on my chicken & let it sit while I cut up peppers & onions. I cut chicken in strips and sautéed in pan, pulled them out & did vegetables & mixed everything in bowl like you said I put in dish & pulled out & baked after work. Absolutely amazing. Thank you for this recipe! It’s a keeper.
I'm so happy to hear that! Thank you so much!
I plan on making this tonight but I didn't want to add the chicken and make it meatless. Have you tired it that way and so I need to cut the cooking time?
I have not tried that, I would think you can still cook it for the same amount of time.
This is absolutely delish! Thank you Julia
This was outstanding! Thanks so much for posting it
Thank you so much!
I was confused as how the cream cheese was supposed to be added …. Are you supposed to cut in hunks and stir together with heavy cream and cheese ? Or what ?
Hi there, you would add it to the same bowl as the chicken, along with the heavy cream, and half of the shredded cheese. You don't have to mix it with the heavy cream and cheese before adding it. Everything just gets mixed together with the chicken before you dump it in the casserole dish. I hope this helps. Thank you!
This was Amazing! Thank you for sharing!! I wish I could add a photo.
Thank you so much! I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed it!
Very good!! My family loved it. I sautéed the peppers and onions, then added the chicken and seasoning. Turned the heat down and added the cheeses right to the pan. When melted, I transferred it all over to the baking dish and added the cheese. I served it with a side of Spanish rice.
That sounds delicious. Thank you!
Hi, quick question. Why do I cook the chicken first? Because it’s in the oven for 30 minutes or so, the raw chicken pieces would cook. I’m thinking if I cook them first wouldn't the chicken be dry from cooking twice?
Hi there, I like to cook the chicken first to ensure that it is cooked all the way through, however that might work. I haven't had any issues with the chicken being too dry though.