This Fried Cabbage with Bacon is the perfect side dish for all of your family dinners! The cabbage is super tender and full of delicious flavor. This is sure to be a family favorite recipe!
Fried Cabbage with Bacon
As someone who is was born and raised in the south, fried cabbage has always been a dinner staple. Cabbage is my favorite vegetable hands down, and I could honestly eat it every day! Thankfully, it is naturally keto-friendly, and I can enjoy it guilt-free!
It's not unusual to find bacon or smoked meat cooked with your vegetables during southern family dinners. The fat from the fried bacon in this dish gives the cabbage so much delicious flavor!
The same goes for my Instant Pot Southern Style Green Beans recipe! This is a great recipe to make for the holidays, family dinners, or when you just have too much cabbage in your fridge.
What to serve with cabbage
Can you freeze cooked cabbage with bacon?
Yes, you can freeze cooked cabbage with bacon. Store the cabbage in an airtight freezer bag or container in your freezer. Frozen cabbage is typically good for 3 months.
What you'll need for this recipe
- Cabbage - the star of this recipe!
- Bacon - I recommend using thick cut bacon for this recipe, but any bacon will do.
- Onion - The onions cooked in the bacon grease add an amazing depth of flavor!
- Garlic - Because everything tastes better with garlic!
- Butter - the butter adds rich flavor to the cabbage and also keeps the cabin from sticking to the pan.
- Seasonings - I like to use salt, pepper, garlic, and onion powder.
How to Make Fried Cabbage with Bacon
- Chop the cabbage into bite-sized pieces and set the cabbage aside.
- Chop the bacon, and fry it in a large skillet until it gets crispy.
- Remove the bacon from the pan, and set it aside leaving the grease in the pan.
- Add the garlic and onions to the pan and saute until fragrant.
- Toss in half the butter, and melt it down. Then, add the chopped cabbage to the pan.
- Season the cabbage with all of the seasonings. Then, add the rest of the butter to the pan. Saute the cabbage for 10 minutes, and enjoy!
Other recipes you may enjoy:
- Easy Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls Ready in 30 Minutes
- Instant Pot Southern Style Green Beans
- Broccoli Cheese Casserole
- Oven Roasted Broccoli with Lemon and Parmesan
Don't forget to pin for later!
- 1 large head of cabbage
- 5 strips of thick cut bacon, chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 1 half of a large onion, chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon pepper, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Chop the cabbage into bite-sized pieces, and set the cabbage aside.
- Cut the bacon into bite-size pieces, and cook in a large skillet over medium heat until it is brown and begins to crisp.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the bacon, leaving the bacon grease in the pan. Add the diced onion, and garlic to the pan and saute for about 2 minutes.
- Add 1 tablespoon of the butter to the pan, and stir it in until melted. Next, add the cabbage to the pan.
- Season the cabbage with all of the seasonings, and add in the other tablespoon of butter. Saute the cabbage for about 10 minutes until it is tender to your liking. Enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 servings Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 103Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 378mgCarbohydrates: 5gNet Carbohydrates: 4gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 4g
Kay is passionate about living a healthy low carb lifestyle. She loves low carb comfort foods that are also family-friendly!