These Marinated Chicken Wings are a great snack or appetizer that is sure to be a crowd-pleaser! The chicken marinade is made with a blend of herbs, seasonings, and other simple ingredients that you likely already have in your pantry. Theses wings are juicy on the inside, and crispy on the outside!
Marinating chicken wings is a great way to add delicious flavor while making them fall off the bone tender! Typically, a good chicken marinade consists of acidic ingredients, oils, spices, and herbs.
Once marinated, the chicken wings may be baked, grilled, or air fried. Feel free to cook them according to your favorite cooking method. Keep scrolling, and I have included instructions for each cooking method below.
Does marinating chicken wings make a difference?
It is definitely worth it to marinate chicken wings to enhance them with additional flavor! The marinade also tenderizes the meat, while also adding extra moisture to the wings. This prevents the chicken from drying out while cooking.
How long to marinate chicken wings?
You can marinate chicken wings anywhere from 30 minutes, to 24 hours. Even marinating chicken wings for just 3o minutes will give them a nice boost in flavor.
For best results marinate for at least 2 hours so that the chicken can take on the full flavor of the marinade. On the other hand, marinating chicken wings for more than 24 hours can result in mushy chicken due to the acid in the marinade.
Ingredients you'll need
- Chicken Wings - For this recipe, you'll want to use drumettes and flats.
- Seasonings - I used garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, and oregano.
- Olive oil - The olive oil acts as a base for the marinade, and adds a nice rich flavor.
- Soy Sauce - The olive oil adds some acidity and great flavor to the wings!
- Brown Sweetener: Any brown sweetener will work. If you aren't worried about the carbs, feel free to use regular brown sugar.
How to cook marinated chicken wings in the oven
- Start by combining all of the marinade ingredients in a medium bowl, then whisk everything together.
- Next, add the chicken wings to the bowl with the marinade and toss the wings until they are fully coated with the marinade.
- Cover the wings, and allow them to marinade in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour. The wings may be marinated up to 24 hours in advance.
- Arrange the wings on a lined baking sheet, and discard any excess marinade.
- Bake the wings in the oven at 400 degrees for 40 minutes, flipping the wings over halfway through the cooking time.
You could also cook these wings on the grill or in an air fryer.
To grill marinated chicken wings:
Heat your grill to medium-high heat. Next, grill the marinated wings for 10 - 12 minutes on each side. Check on the wings frequently to avoid burning them.
To air fry marinated chicken wings:
Arrange the chicken wings in a single layer in your air fryer basket. Air fry at 375 - 380 degrees for 10 -12 minutes on each side.
What to serve with marinated chicken wings
Marinated chicken wings would go well with any of the below side dishes:
- Broccoli Salad with Bacon and Cheddar
- Best Keto Coleslaw
- Oven-roasted vegetables
- Air Fryer Zucchini
- Any of your favorite dipping sauces
Storage and reheating
You can store cooked chicken wings in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. To reheat, simply air fry or microwave individual portions until they are warmed through.
More chicken recipes:
- 2 pounds chicken wings
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon brown sweetener, (see notes)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the soy sauce, olive oil, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, ground black pepper, and brown sweetener. Wisk everything together until combined.
- Add the chicken wings to the bowl with the marinade, and toss the wings ensuring that they are fully coated. Cover and marinate the in the fridge for at least 1 hour. (Do not allow to marinate for more than 24 hours.)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Arrange the wings on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- Bake in the oven for 40 minutes, flipping the wings halfway through the cooking time.
- Serve and enjoy!
- The carbs and sodium will appear higher than normal for this recipe, as it is being calculated based on the full marinade measurements.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 999Total Fat: 82gSaturated Fat: 23gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 53gCholesterol: 186mgSodium: 2048mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 40g
All nutritional information and calculations are provided as a courtesy. Nutritional values are estimates only. Variations may occur due to product, and brand selection. You should not rely on this information for medical advice.
Kay is passionate about living a healthy low carb lifestyle. She loves low carb comfort foods that are also family-friendly!