Chicken cordon bleu casserole is the ultimate comfort dish. This recipe is made with shredded chicken, ham, cheese, and a delicious creamy dijon sauce.
I’m a firm believer that you can turn almost any recipe into a casserole. As a matter of fact, one of my favorite things to do in the kitchen is experiment with different casserole recipes. It’s one of the easiest ways to convert all of my favorite recipes into keto-friendly versions.
Chicken cordon bleu is the perfect dish to convert into a casserole. The essential ingredients are typically chicken, ham, dijon mustard, and cheese.
For this recipe, I used all of those ingredients along with a few extras to really give it that delicious casserole quality!
Why is it called chicken cordon bleu?
So oddly enough, “cordon bleu” is French for “blue ribbon”. In french, blue ribbon represents excellence or someone of high esteem.
With all of that being said, the recipe for chicken cordon bleu actually originated in Switzerland. Traditional chicken cordon blue is made with breaded chicken, known as schnitzel.
Schnitzel is a popular dish in Switzerland that consists of fried pork or veal, that is usually topped with a cream sauce.
How to make chicken cordon bleu casserole
Start by mixing the cream cheese, dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and seasonings in a medium bowl. Continue mixing until everything is smooth and creamy.
Next, add the chicken and the ham to the bowl and mix everything together. You’ll want to ensure that the chicken and ham are evenly coated.
Spread the mixture into a 9×13 casserole dish, and top with the Swiss Cheese slices.
Bake the casserole in the oven for 25 – 30 minutes. Turn the oven to broil for the last 3 minutes of cooking so that you can get the cheese nice, brown and bubbly. Be sure to watch the oven closely while it’s on broil, as it will brown very quickly on this setting.
Variations of this recipe
If you aren’t fond of swiss cheese, you can substitute it for a milder cheese. A few good choices would be provolone, white cheddar, or shredded mozzarella.
Instead of ham, this can also be made with turkey for those who don’t eat pork.
What to Serve with Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
- 3 boneless chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- 8 ounces cooked ham, chopped into small pieces
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Worchestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 slices swiss cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cream cheese, dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Mix everything together until it is creamy and smooth.
- Add the ham and shredded chicken to the bowl with the cream cheese mixture, and mix everything together until combined.
- Spread the mixture evenly in a greased 9x13 baking dish.
- Top the casserole with 6 slices of swiss cheese, and baked in the oven for 25 - 30 minutes. During the last 3 minutes, turn the oven to broil to get the cheese nice and bubbly. Enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 409Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 137mgSodium: 838mgCarbohydrates: 5gNet Carbohydrates: 4gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 35g