Keto shrimp scampi is a decadent dish that is perfect for dinner or served as an appetizer. This recipe is restaurant quality and is sure to impress your guests. The best part is that it takes less than 30 minutes to put together!
How to make keto shrimp scampi
This keto shrimp scampi is full of flavor and perfect for when you want something fancy to eat! The garlic butter wine sauce gives it deep flavor, that will keep you coming back for more. This recipe is perfect for a date night. I recommend using extra-large shrimp, being that the shrimp is the star of this dish!
What is scampi sauce made of?
The basic ingredients for the sauce are butter, garlic, and any dry white wine. For this recipe, I also add red pepper flakes and lemon for an added punch of flavor.
How to avoid rubbery shrimp
Rubbery shrimp is typically a result of overcooking. To avoid overcooked shrimp, be sure to watch the shrimp closely as it cooks. Shrimp should only be cooked until they are pink, and they curl into a "C" shape.
Keto Shrimp Scampi Ingredients
- Butter - A must for any shrimp scampi recipe! Butter is the main ingredient for the scampi sauce.
- Olive Oil - Olive oil adds to the overall "richness" of the scampi sauce.
- Garlic - The garlic sauteed in the butter creates a delicious garlic butter sauce.
- Dry White Wine - White wine is a key ingredient for shrimp scampi. You can substitute the wine for chicken broth as an alternative.
- Lemon Juice - Lemon adds a nice bit of acid to the scampi sauce to balance everything out.
- Red Pepper Flakes - Red pepper flakes are not too spicy and add a small punch of heat to the dish.
- Fresh Parsely - Parsely is used for garnish in this dish and is completely optional.
- Start by adding 2 tablespoons of butter and olive oil to a medium skillet. Once the butter begins to melt, add in the garlic and saute for about 1 minute.
- Add in the shrimp, and season them with salt and pepper. Saute the shrimp, ensuring that both sides are cooked evenly. Once the shrimp turns pink, pour in the white wine and lemon juice. Cook for another 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add in 1 tablespoon of cold butter, and remove the skillet from the heat. Stir in the butter until it's completely melted, and mixed in evenly. Sprinkle in the red pepper flakes, and garnish with fresh parsley.
How to Thicken Scampi Sauce
Scampi sauce will thicken as it sits, and the butter begins to cool. However, if you would like to quickly thicken the sauce simply add in 1 tablespoon of cold butter to a warm pan of scampi sauce. Remove the pan from the heat, and stir the butter in until it melts completely into the sauce.
What to serve with keto shrimp
This recipe would be great with Oven Roasted Broccoli with Lemon and Parmesan. I also recommend serving this over zucchini noodles as a shrimp scampi "pasta". Shrimp scampi can also be served alone as an appetizer.
Keto Shrimp Scampi
Succulent shrimp sauteed in a delicious garlic butter scampi sauce.
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound extra large shrimp, clean and deveined
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup dry white wine, (I used Pinot Grigio)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- fresh parsley, optional
- Preheat a medium skillet over medium-high heat on the stove.
- Season the shrimp with the salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Then, add in the butter and olive oil to the skillet. Once the butter begins to melt, add in the garlic. Saute the garlic for about 1 minute, or until fragrant. Add the shrimp to the pan and cook until they begin to turn pink, and then flip them over to finish cooking them on the other side. Once the shrimp are fully pink, remove them from the pan and set aside.
- Add the lemon juice and white wine to the skillet, and allow to simmer from 2-3 minutes. Next, add the shrimp back to the pan and cook for another minute. Remove the skillet from the heat.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of butter to the warm skillet, and stir in until it melts. This will help to thicken the sauce.
- Sprinkle in the red pepper flakes, and garnish with fresh parsley.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 285Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 270mgSodium: 1241mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 26g
Kay is passionate about living a healthy low carb lifestyle. She loves low carb comfort foods that are also family-friendly!
Leave a Reply