Garlic butter shrimp is a delicious and easy appetizer or dinner option. This recipe is ready in less than 30 minutes and tastes like you spent a lot more time in the kitchen. You can enjoy it over zucchini noodles, or just enjoy it alongside your favorite vegetable.
I am a huge seafood lover, and shrimp is one of my favorites! Shrimp recipes are great for when you need to whip up a quick meal because they cook in very little time.
One of the easiest ways to make shrimp is to saute them in garlic butter. Seriously, it's a food match made in heaven!
Shrimp is also perfect for keto, and a great high protein food option!
I just so happen to catch shrimp on sale at the supermarket, so I decided to buy a few pounds and freeze them for later use. It's always a good idea to store shrimp in the freezer if you aren't planning to use them in the next day or 2.
Shrimp can last in the fridge for about 3 to 4 days. It can last for 3 to 6 months in the freezer.
How to thaw frozen shrimp
One of the things I love about shrimp is how easy they are to thaw out. To thaw frozen shrimp, simply place them in a bowl and cover them with cold water. Allow them to sit for about 15 to 30 minutes, and then they should be ready to use.
I always like to start with fresh shrimp frozen or not. I don't recommend using precooked shrimp for this recipe as it really doesn't save time anyway. Not to mention, fresh shrimp tastes a lot better.
A few tips on preparing shrimp
- Devein shrimp prior to cooking by carefully using a knife to cut a slit down the middle of the back. Use your hands or a napkin to remove the black vein. Rinse the shrimp once completed.
- Shrimp are done once they turn fully pink. Avoid overcooking shrimp which will cause them to be rubbery in texture.
- You can cook shrimp with the shell on or off. Just remove the shell prior to eating. For this recipe, I peeled the shrimp and left the tails on. Honestly, they just make the dish look prettier lol!
How to make garlic butter shrimp
Being that shrimp is the star of this dish, you'll want to use shrimp that is at least large in size. Feel free to use bigger shrimp if you can find them.
Melt a tablespoon of butter in a large skillet, and add the shrimp. Season the shrimp with salt, pepper, and garlic powder and cook them just until they are pink. Remove the shrimp from the pan.
In the same pan, add 7 tablespoons of butter and 3 chopped cloves of garlic. Melt the butter down, and saute the garlic until fragrant.
Add in 1/4 cup of chicken stock and continue cooking until it begins to simmer. Then add the shrimp back to the skillet and cook them until they are warmed through. Be sure to toss the shrimp in garlic butter. Serve immediately.
To finish the shrimp, you can add lemon juice, parsley, or red pepper flakes for garnish.
You can enjoy this garlic butter shrimp recipe straight out of the pan, or serve them over your favorite low carb vegetable!
Garlic Butter Shrimp
A delicious garlicky butter shrimp recipe that is ready in about 15 minutes.
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 8 tablespoons butter, divided
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (you can add more or less depending on your preference)
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the shrimp to the skillet, and season them with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Cook the shrimp until they are pink. Remove the shrimp from the pan.
- Discard any excess liquid from the pan. In the same pan, add the butter and minced garlic. Melt the butter and saute the garlic until it is fragrant.
- Add the chicken stock to the skillet and allow it to simmer for about 3 minutes.
- Add the shrimp back to the pan, and cook until it is warmed through. Be sure to saute the shrimp so that is coated in the butter mixture.
- Feel free to add lemon juice, red pepper flakes, or parsley for garnish and then serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 350Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 301mgSodium: 1353mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 27g
Kay is passionate about living a healthy low carb lifestyle. She loves low carb comfort foods that are also family-friendly!
Brilliant récipes, beat my bland meat and fish with cauliflower and btoccoli meals. Am a newbie keto follower, trying to reverse .y diabetes type 2!